We'll pay the actual costs to repair or replace your contents , plus any legal liability or temporary accommodation cover.
Your personal belongings are covered for accidental loss, damage and destruction anywhere in New Zealand - protecting you against events such as fire, flood, burglary and natural disaster. The cover for some items will be limited to their present day value, but you can specify limits for special items such as jewellery, bicycles or cameras, to ensure you have the cover you need.
It is important to ensure that the Sum Insured amount on your Policy Schedule reflects the likely costs of replacing your contents. If you set your Sum Insured too low, you may not have adequate coverage in the event of a loss to contents. For more information regarding the Sum Insured for your contents and how to calculate the right amount of cover you need, click here.
For homeowners, we recommend our house insurance too. Our house and contents policies have been designed to work together to give you the best, most comprehensive cover.
The policy includes cover for:
- Change of situation - we'll provide temporary cover for your contents in your new home for up to 14 days from the date you moved in.
- Credit card/cheque - up to $1,000 in a 12 month period for a lost, stolen or fraudulently used ATM/Eftpos card or cheque book.
- Hidden gradual damage - up to $2,000 in a 12 month period towards the cost of repairing your contents if they suffer hidden gradual damage caused by accidental leaks or overflow from internal water or waste pipes, or a permanently installed water tank.
- Home office - up to $15,000 for your home office furniture and equipment.
- Lost or stolen keys - up to $2,000 in a 12 month period to replace your keys and locks, including remote door openers, swipe cards and similar.
- Car accessories attached to an employer's vehicle - up to $1,500 in a 12 month period for any one event with a $250 excess.
- Natural disaster damage - we'll pay the difference between any EQ cover and the cover under your policy if your contents are damaged or a total loss. We'll also cover temporary accommodation costs for you, your family and pets.
- Overseas travel - up to $5,000 cover if you're travelling to and from Australia or the Pacific Islands for no more than three weeks at any one time.
- Personal liability - up to $2,000,000 for any one event including legal costs and expenses. (If you have liability protection under another policy with us, the maximum combined liability under all policies will be $2,000,000.)
- Removal of debris - we'll cover the costs of removing damaged contents from your home.
- Temporary accommodation - we'll cover the temporary accommodation costs for you and your family, including pets, while your house is being repaired or rebuilt for up to 12 months to a maximum sum insured per one event. We'll also take care of the costs of moving and storing your contents.
- Tree disposal - up to $1,000 for any one event if a falling tree or branch damages your contents, includes the removal of tree debris.
- Wedding or Christmas gifts - gifts belonging to others are temporarily stored at your home.
You can also add the following optional covers to your policy:
- Home office cover: cover away from home - up to $15,000 for any one event to cover office furniture and equipment away from home. A $5,000 sub-limit applies to computers and a $2,000 sub-limit applies to cell phones/smart phones.
- Landlord extension: deliberate damage by tenants - up to $25,000 for any one event with a $500 excess.